feh is an X11 image viewer aimed mostly at console users. Unlike most other viewers, it does not have a fancy GUI, but simply displays images. It is controlled via commandline arguments and configurable key/mouse actions.
- feh-cam and gen-cam-menu are no longer installed by default. Use
make install cam=1to install them or
make uninstall cam=1 && make install cam=0to remove them permanently
- feh no longer depends on giblib. Instead, the relevant parts of the giblib source were imported into the feh source. Rationale: giblib is unmaintained and, as far as I know, only used by three projects (one of which is feh). There is at least one known bug in it, and as I do not have the time to take over giblib development, importing the library seems to be the best solution.
- Fix/improve --randomize for short filelists (closes #151)
- Fix a buffer overflow in the printf implementation when handling unknown format specifiers (affects --action, --customlist, --index-info, --info, --thumb-title and --title)
- Update help (if built with help=1)
- Various operation modes:
- Slideshow: Show all files in or below a directory, change slides with your keyboard or automatically after a delay
- Thumbnail: List files as clickable thumbnails
- List: ls-like output with image dimensions etc.
- Multiwindow: Open all images at once
- optional HTTP/FTP support via libcurl
- Can be used as wallpapersetter, supports rxvt transparency
- Filelist support
- Lots of configurable keyboard shortcuts. Well usable without mouse
- Custom actions (shell commands), e.g. for sorting images
Building from source
Compiling feh from source (e.g. to try the development version or for distros which don't have the latest release yet) is quite trivial. feh does not use any fancy build system, all you need is GNU make, a C compiler (like gcc or clang) and the libraries.
Example for Debian:
First, install the dependencies:
apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libx11-dev libxt-dev libimlib2-dev
Then, either get the latest tarball:
tar -xjf feh-2.12.tar.bz2
or check out the git version:
git clone git://git.finalrewind.org/feh || git clone git://github.com/derf/feh.git
Now, compile and install feh:
sudo make install
Please report bugs, feature requests or any other source code related stuff either on the GitHub issue tracker or directly to derf0 on #feh (irc.oftc.net). You can of course also e-mail derf+feh at finalrewind dot org.
Any contributions, be it patches, your feh configs or texts/examples for this website are also greatly appreciated. Please send them either via IRC or e-mail.