feh is an X11 image viewer aimed mostly at console users. Unlike most other viewers, it does not have a fancy GUI, but simply displays images. It is controlled via commandline arguments and configurable key/mouse actions.
--xinerama-indexoption for background setting (patch by James Knight)
- When removing the last image in slidsehow mode, stay on the last (previously second-to-last) image (patch by Lior Shiponi)
--randomizeto override each other (most recently specified option wins) instead of always preferring
- Thumbnail mode: Mark image as processed when executing an action (
--action) by clicking on an image
- It is now possible to override feh's idea of the active xinerama screen
- Remove (undocumented) feature allowing to override feh's idea of the
active xinerama screen by setting the
- Various operation modes:
- Slideshow: Show all files in or below a directory, change slides with your keyboard or automatically after a delay
- Thumbnail: List files as clickable thumbnails
- List: ls-like output with image dimensions etc.
- Multiwindow: Open all images at once
- optional HTTP/FTP support via libcurl
- Can be used as wallpapersetter, supports rxvt transparency
- Filelist support
- Lots of configurable keyboard shortcuts. Well usable without mouse
- Custom actions (shell commands), e.g. for sorting images
Building from source
Compiling feh from source (e.g. to try the development version or for distros which don't have the latest release yet) is quite trivial. feh does not use any fancy build system, all you need is GNU make, a C compiler (like gcc or clang) and the libraries.
Example for Debian:
First, install the dependencies:
apt-get install libcurl4-openssl-dev libx11-dev libxt-dev libimlib2-dev
Then, either get the latest tarball:
tar -xjf feh-2.14.tar.bz2
or check out the git version:
git clone git://git.finalrewind.org/feh || git clone git://github.com/derf/feh.git
Now, compile and install feh:
sudo make install
Please report bugs, feature requests or any other source code related stuff either on the GitHub issue tracker or directly to derf0 on #feh (irc.oftc.net). You can of course also e-mail derf+feh at finalrewind dot org.
Any contributions, be it patches, your feh configs or texts/examples for this website are also greatly appreciated. Please send them either via IRC or e-mail.